Sunday, May 27, 2012

Kingfisher Resort

Hello from Jinja, Uganda!

Today we traveled from Kampala to Jinja. We spent the day at the rural village where we met with the people and discussed the new clinic we would like to build for them.  Drake University, and the funds we make will be used for the building of the desperately needed clinic in this village.  Also, we have paired up with a non- for- profit organization that has offered to help and match whatever we end up fundraising.

When our professors went to go meet with the "elders" the students broke off and went to play with the children. I chose to play soccer with a group of the guys and girls.  Let's just say I am more than out of practice.  But it did make me miss playing all the time when I was growing up.  Dad, I am not opposed to getting a ball and going to pass around at the park, like old times, when I get back.  But these kids were outstanding!  They were so quick and had no problem to come right up behind you and slide tackle you for the ball.  I had a great time!

After the long day, we got back on the bus and headed to Kingfisher Resort, also in Jinja.  We are here for two nights, really just to relax and enjoy the days.  We have a great pool and service, and amazing food.  The room that we stay in are shaped like huts that are really cute and pretty cozy.  The resort is right on Lake Victoria, which is absolutely gorgeous!  A group of us is waking up at around 5:30 in the morning tomorrow to watch the sun rise over the lake. Then we are going to have a presentation about the different cultures and learn how to basket weave.  We will have a pretty early afternoon just to relax and hangout by the pool.  I can't wait, especially because we have been so busy the past few days.

With Love from the "Pride Lands"!

No comments:

Post a Comment